View Single Post
Old 01-22-14, 09:18 AM   #42
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The Electrac has a weird SepEx motor tho and the Alltrax controller for those tractors does the reversing without a reversing contactor.

I regular SepEx motor controller doesn't work, not sure why.
Is the motor DC, BLDC (brushless DC), AC, etc.?

OK, with out getting too technical in order to reverse a motor with a reversing controller like the Alltrax you need a circuit called an 'H' bridge. The problem with 'H' bridges is that you have to drive the upper 'N' type MOSFETs with a boost circuit because they won't turn on otherwise. So you need a boost circuit and then there is dead time because you can't have both sides on at the same time or you get a condition called "shoot through" which is basically a short in the circuit. All this has to work with the inductive kick back of your specific motor so you wind up paying for an expensive controller.

What I'm planning on doing with my Elec-Trac side steps all of that, we'll see when the circuit is finished this spring. I'll post it here so if others want to build it they can.
In your case with a reversing tranny and a motor that only has to spin in one direction, the circuit should be a piece of cake.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote