View Single Post
Old 05-20-11, 04:37 PM   #7
Blauhung
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I wonder if DIY well diggers know they need a permit to drill??

Portable water well drilling rig, How to drill a water well
some do, but I bet many choose to ignore it. The regulations that surround well drilling are mostly in place for the purposes of preventing aquifer contamination which presents a risk to public health and safety. The regulations are somewhat more relaxed in most states for drilling holes that will not eventually exchange water with aquifers, such as closed loop geothermal wells. From my reading these types of wells only have the requirements that the wells are back-filled with some form of grout to prevent cross-aquifer or surface to aquifer contamination. Also as AC states in his other thread, closed loop geothermal wells must be done with fusion welded pressure tested HDPE piping so as to not leak.

In the state of Oregon, you need a permit and someone who is licensed as an Engineer or a well digger, but the permit costs are far less than costs for water wells. In my case I am currently an engineering intern as far as the state is concerned, and the requirements for being a state certified engineer is 4 years of working with others who are. But in my current job with Intel many are not, as certification is more for contractors who work on government contracts. My plan currently is to work with my friend who is.
Blauhung is offline   Reply With Quote