View Single Post
Old 03-29-15, 12:02 PM   #1
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default LEDs retro into IC and nonIC can lights????

This is sort of a continuation of Daox's earlier thread on retrofitting LEDs into existing indoor recessed or "can" light fixtures. Maybe he'll give an update.
I have a bunch (about a dozen ) 6" recessed non IC can fixtures in my kitchen and LR that I have used fluorescent floodlights in.(65 or75 equivalent watt) They have gotten dimmer over the last couple of years and this winter I also noticed a lot of air leakage into the rooms as the non IC cans shouldn't be insulated over and have slits etc in the cans letting in significant cold air. I went to the fluorescents as I planned to silicone caulk the slits and insulate over them as I figured it would be safe given no halogens and much lesser heat loads into the can.
I chickened out and didn't do either tho mostly because I was worried about cooking the expensive (then) fluorescent floodlights. Fast forward to this past winter!
Just bought a $14 LED bulb type floodlight LED - same equivalent wattage - at Lowes and it is so much brighter, faster and natural looking and less wattage than the flourescents!
My question is, if I replace the flourscents with either bulb type replacement LEDs (or maybe the ones that use a screw in bulb socket with wiring to a replacement bezel containing the LED), can I safely caulk the leaky cans and blanket insulate over them from the fire safety standpoint and from that of cooking a bunch of costly new LEDs?????
I would think switching to IC cans would offer even less airflow to the LEDs.
Anyone in this quandary?

Last edited by Daox; 03-29-15 at 04:24 PM..
Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote