View Single Post
Old 07-30-16, 09:28 PM   #53
DEnd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
Really good info! I am looking into this now. I really wouldn't be that hard, if would for sure have to be DIY, but a large solar collector that is used for heating in the winter now doesn't have to not be used in the summer, you could use the extra to power a refrigeration cycle.
If you generate enough heat yeah it'll work. You have to look at the quality of heat you produce as well as the amount, so Temperature and BTU/h. Solar Thermal produces somewhat low quality heat (relatively low temperatures) but by adding more collectors you can increase the BTU/h output. This means that you can take advantage of multi-stage systems (absorption chillers that chill absorption chillers) to get some fairly low temperatures.

Quote:
OR could you directly heat the propane (refrigerant) in a homemade high pressure solar collector with a check valve allowing flow only in the discharge direction? Would that create flow? I KNOW you could get it hot enough to make huge pressure differences.
Not really. It couldn't be a continuous system without some form of pump. you could throw a couple of one way valves on either side of a chamber between the evaporator and condenser and alternate between heating it and cooling it and that would likely create flow.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote