View Single Post
Old 06-03-15, 09:29 PM   #18
Xzeption
Lurking Renovator

Default Cabinet description & picture

This is my first attempt to upload a picture, so please bear with me if this does not work.

This is the cheapest, ugliest, yet functional cabinet I could build. The corners are 2x4 boards 4 ft high. The sides, back and front are 2 ft x 4 ft OSB board. The sides and back are nailed to the 2x4s. The front (lying on the floor in the picture) is the same dimensions as the sides. I use some rope I had to hold the front to the box when in use. Another thin piece of plywood sits on top during operation. The dehumidifier is sitting on some spare plywood to keep it level. I added a board and some shims to hold up the box fan at the top of the box. The black tension rods hold the wet laundry.

I don't yet know how much of a difference the fan makes, but I intend to find out by measuring the mass of the laundry before and after to determine how much water evaporated.

IMPORTANT: This is obviously not going to be the final build. I don't recommend copying it. There is not enough vertical space for a load of laundry. After testing with this I hope to know the most important factors for a DIY dehumidifier dryer. In the meantime I am guessing that an old fridge or freezer may make a better box.

As an interesting side note, when I had the dehumidifier running and I was vacuuming, the circuit breaker tripped. This makes sense as the 12 amp vacuum + 7 amp dehumidifier > 15 amp breaker. Just something to keep in mind if the washer and dehumidifier dryer are on the same circuit they may need a 20 amp circuit breaker.

EDIT: Is there an easy way to rotate the image 90 degrees?
Attached Images

I wish my country would switch to the metric system. My apologies to international readers who see me jump between metric and imperial units.

Last edited by Daox; 06-04-15 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Can an image be rotated?
Xzeption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xzeption For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-04-15)