View Single Post
Old 06-01-16, 07:03 AM   #1
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Directly solar powered air conditioner

I have been trying to work this out in my head, and do some research. It might be that its so simple that I'm over thinking it. But I have a lot of extra solar power in the summer so I want to divert that power to a small window unit ((500 watt)) and only use it when the sun is shinning. I know I can just wire in my inverter to my battery bank, but I would rather skip that altogether and wire straight from my array. One reason being that I have 800 watts of panels not tied into the batteries yet and the other reason being I want to do this with other appliances in the future.
So here is the question, how would I design a setup to run only when the solar panels are getting enough sun to power the window unit? Seems to me like every time the sun goes behind a cloud I would have to reset everything. Or that the panels would only be making 350 watts and burn something up.
What am I missing here? Do I have to at least have a small battery bank to control everything? Or is there a super awesome device that does all the work for me?