View Single Post
Old 01-13-16, 12:05 AM   #8
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

I just found out that this weekend I'll be able to borrow the thermographic camera, and luckily the forecast shows colder weather then, so here is my plan:
  • One late afternoon I'll set the house's temp a bit higher (to the joy of my family), wait 1-3 hours until evening and then get some pics from the outside. I'll try to get both images of the house as a whole (from a distance) and up close pics of any parts that show potential issues. Then I'll turn on the kitchen fan and shoot a few outside pics to see if anything changed.
  • In the wee hours of the morning, when it is coldest outside and when everyone is asleep, I'll turn off the heating and wait for the radiators to cool down (don't want them spitting photons). Then I'll take indoor images - first a general sweep of each room, then closer inspection of places with leakage. The basement and garage are not heated, but will get covered also. By this time the family will be getting up, so I'll have access to the upstairs bedrooms. Will try the kitchen fan again to see where cold air is entering.
  • If I get a moment I'll climb up onto the roof, close the hatch, wait 10 minutes for it to cool down, and get images of the roof and chimneys. While I'm up there I might get a sweep of the neighborhood to see which houses have the best/worst insulation.
  • If we visit my Grandma then I'll get some shots of her uninsulated, overheated house