View Single Post
Old 10-27-15, 06:11 PM   #4
pete c
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for the education Steve. It does make sense. I guess about the only thing that might be worth doing would be venting the fridge waste heat outside during cool weather. Unfortunately, my fridge is on an interior wall, so it would not be practical.

If it was on an outside wall, it might also be practical to circulate air directly from the outside to the fridge inside when outside temps were cold enough. But this is probably not practical as it creates leaks which would lower efficiency the rest of the year. I guess the best think to do is to superinsulate it.

Actually, that might be something I can try given my new kitchen cabinets. My fridge is an older model that will be replaced soon. I want to get one of those fancy new ones with the french door fridge and bottom pullout slider freezers. I had the cabinet opening made for a 36" wide big one. My old fridge is 30 inch wide. So, I have 3.5 inches of clearance each side and 5 inches on top. If I put fiberglass batts on either side, it will increase insulation and should create a very nice chimney effect for the rear mounted condenser coil.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote