View Single Post
Old 10-26-16, 07:42 PM   #8
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Jeff is right. I've got too many conflicting ideas floating in an otherwise vacuous cranium. Here are the goals:

1. Reduce weight (the trailer is heavy)
2. Optimize some unknown balance between off-grid and on-grid.
3. Minimize off-grid generator time.
4. Minimize propane use.

The propane heater is horribly fuel inefficient and its fan will quickly flatten a battery bank. It is wasteful on-grid and practically useless off-grid. Most of the heat seems to go out the exhaust vent. Propane on the road runs upward of $6 a gallon.

Hydronic heating eliminates the fan. It is quiet and uses very little electricity. I have a friend that installed a hydronic system in a new motorhome in NY with remarkable results. Apparently they are common in RV's in his native Sweden.

I already have the water heater and I see no reason it can't do double duty. The batteries will easily handle the igniter and a circulation pump. I won't be drinking the water so bacteria isn't an issue.

I don't plan on roughing it in extreme weather. After all, who wants to travel two thousand miles just to sit in the trailer. Cold weather sucks and health issues ended my hot weather trekking long ago. 5000 BTU cooling is plenty for the places I'm going. I just thought it would be nice to have a reversible heat pump as long as I have air conditioning.

The Coleman on the roof is too big and incredibly noisy. It needs a 3.5KW genny just to start it. Even in a 98 degree Georgia summer it runs less than 50%. The window shaker starts and runs fine on my 1KW unit. If I drop the idea of a heat pump I will still go with the window shaker for AC.

I have friends that snowbird from Idaho 6-8 months a year. They rarely use the air conditioner, choosing instead to move with the weather.

Mike: I don't recall what CHP stands for.
EDIT: Answer - cogeneration heat pump. I suppose I should have googled it before asking.
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote