View Single Post
Old 10-22-16, 08:40 PM   #5
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
I would look for a larger unit to modify, though. A 5kbtu compressor might only move 3kbtu after switching from 410a to 290. You might be surprised how much heat leaks out of rv's and campers when it's cold outside. I would really be tempted to hack the rooftop unit myself. Especially if it was out of warranty.
Yep, spent my honeymoon in a 1949 camp trailer with a sheepherder stove for heat and cooking. In Idaho, in one of the coldest winters on record. Those memories are only good because they are behind me.

The purpose of snowbirding is to get away from the weather. The rooftop unit is not a good candidate because I am trying to stay under 500 watts. This thing was not designed for efficiency. The fan motor is big because it blows through undersized ceiling ducts - which also leak a lot. And the shroud is cracking which will cost $150 to replace.

Another option I'm considering is using the propane water heater for hydronic heating. I can get a circulation pump that uses about 20W making it suitable for off grid. The heat pump requires a generator or power pole. If I am at a campground with a hookup I can just use a $15 space heater.
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote