View Single Post
Old 03-12-14, 11:35 AM   #85
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron342 View Post
Hello HV and the rest of you scroungers!
I followed this thread while collecting parts for my own project but naught from HV for months????
My current thoughts are to run about 20 ft of 3/16" copper refrig tubing inside 20 ft of 3/4" copper tubing, then anneal the 3/4 so I can spiral bend it at maybe 30° around the outside (actual tank or just the cover?) Of my reborn 80 gal W/H. Then connect the bottom of the 3/4 to a T off the bottom tank drain and the top of it to a T at the top exit tap of the W/H and voila thermosiphon!!
The 3/16 would be the condenser of my 5K window unit sitting in the garage. (maryland coast) I figure a window unit might work better than a dehumidifier since they are designed to dump heat into 100° air?
I have a bunch of questions:
Do I need spacers inside the 3/4?
Is 3/16 too small and will the combo thermosiphon enough heat out of the condenser??
Why can't I just watch sports on Saturday like normal guys??
Later plans are for a similar tube in tube ground water coupled evaporator but this is the first bite and I've never even brazed HVAC lines.
Any thoughts??
To make it work like thermosiphone it has to be vertical and vertical part as high as possible. You can have 2 or 3 parallel sections (depends on capacity) but sections must be bertical. I wouldn't worry about inside tube touching outside. Make sure your inside tube is refrigeration one and not a cheapo junk. I would use 1/4 acr tube line. Just start with 1 section 3/4 outside 1/4 acr inside. Make it as high as possible like 8-10 feet. If you discharge pressure goes to high add one more parallel section.
A small water pump would make your life easier but you want a challenge
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote