View Single Post
Old 08-15-12, 07:11 PM   #130
berniebenz
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
First of all your HX is going to be a condenser (high pressure side) unless you are building a beer cooler .

Second you will have to recover refrigerant properly. Then you can chop off your copper tubing and connect your HX (which must be pressure rated to 350-400 psi). Using flares with refrigerant is a bad idea, I would rather braze.
Last thing you will have to vacuum your system and charge right amount of refrigerant. This right amount will change because your HX capacity is different. How to determine this right amount is a whole another story....

So, small thing like this can be a real pain when you don't know what you are doing...

PS. You don't have to worry about oil because high side ends up liquid side. Liquid refrigerant can carry oil very good.
I stand corrected, Condenser vs Evap. Thanks Vlad!

Neighbor is a HVAC mechanic, has vac pump, ref, gages, and know how.

So, I can go to a counter flow HX configuration, returning the liquid from the top of the HX? Oil no worry. Just seems better to force the liquid into the tube from a bottom puddle rather than bubbling it up to the top?

I’m not worried about HX. FME and res. Cu brazed plate SS HX can easily handle these pressures, even if the app. is not so rated. Especially in small sizes. It will either leak or not, no big deal.

Is a double flare joint better than a single flare? Or, I can braze the tubing inside my ¼” flare fittings already attached.
berniebenz is offline   Reply With Quote