View Single Post
Old 02-08-17, 10:45 PM   #7
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Geo NR gee

Hmm was the compressor running in the proper direction.?? 3 Phase right?? Water to air or air to air.? Ground loop??? was it actually working when it was first powered up or operating on the heat strip??

Randen
My answer to your question above was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
Randen,
I assume it's going in the proper direction because instructions I was given was to hook up the 3-phase wires and watch the condenser fan rotation and make sure it matches the directions on the label. This is an air-to-air heat pump.

HOWEVER, the instructions for startup I was given was incorrect! Randen your first response was the answer. The compressor was going in reverse.

Today my brothers HVAC friend suggested like Randen that it maybe going in reverse. When I told him how we were instructed, he said that the condenser and blower fans are not 3 phase and wouldn't go backwards anyway. He suggested I switch the phases.

After switching two phases, it started heating the space and without the heat strips. The compressor was a lot quieter too! I hope we didn't ruin the compressor? Also is there a proper way to test and see if the phasing is wired correctly?

Thank you to Randen and Jeff5may for your assistance getting this unit up and running again. Speaking for my friends, they are also very grateful. It was really neat to watch a couple of older (70 year old) men happy and excited today about having heat in their hobby shop as they call it. 32*F outside and 60*F inside, they are "Happy Okies" he said.
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote