View Single Post
Old 07-17-09, 12:32 PM   #72
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Minga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Awesome progress. That sure looks like a lot of work digging the holes though!
Although William_Hackerson did the lion's share of the work, we did trade off digging duty, so it really wasn't such a big deal.

I'm getting my electric earth auger back in shape for more drilling, but for shallow holes, and depending on your local soil conditions, hand digging is entirely possible.

I was visiting with my friends, Barbara & Jeff yesterday, telling them of my progress. I happened to mention that it would be great to apply the same kind of community energy to a DIY Ground Source Heat Pump as was displayed in old-time barn raising. Barbara, who has spent a fair amount of time in South America immediately said, "Minga!" I asked her what she was referring to and she told me that it is a Guaraní word for an ancient indigenous custom, by which several men would work in turns in each one’s field, to make the work lighter and quicker and to strengthen friendship. They could also work a field owned in common. The money earned by the minga would be used to buy food in common.

I can see that it would be great fun to invite a couple dozen people over for an early afternoon work party, followed by a barbecue, beer and song circle.

I really think we need to revive the spirit of community cooperation that served our forebears so well.

Best Regards,

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote