View Single Post
Old 11-20-14, 12:46 PM   #18
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

My garage / workshop project inside dimensions are ~ 22'w and ~34' long. I put in three 8 foot T12 fixtures that I converted to T8 before installing. Each 8' fixture is two 4' bulbs wide, by two 4' bulbs long. Two fixtures are installed 4' in from the long side walls and one is crossways at about 26' away from from the overhead entry door. Ceiling is painted white, walls are Mountain Dew green. The pair running along the side walls are switched together and the crossways fixture is on its own circuit. I rarely use all three fixtures at once. It's close to an operating room in their when I do. Of course, 12 x 32w bulbs is 384w if I run all three fixtures.

I plan to go LED when the price per bulb for the Energy Star bulbs falls below $20.00 wholesale. At the rate prices are dropping, I think that is a year or less away. The cheaper Chinese bulbs don't meet the quality standards of Energy Star, so the ones that fit my budget today aren't going up in my garage. The tombstones {what we call the bulb holders here at work} for an LED only need powered at one end of the bulb. The other is only there to hold the other end of the LED bulb in place, so when the ballast comes out, the wiring should be super simple.

Will follow along to see what you wind up choosing.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote