View Single Post
Old 05-22-13, 04:59 PM   #1
shrub100
Lurking Renovator

Default Warm air central heating - conversion

I live in a 3 storey terraced town house that used to have an old warm air central heating unit installed. This has subsequently been removed and replaced with a regular hot water central heating unit, however all of the old warm air ducting is still present in the house.

I was reading with some interest a post on this site regarding the reuse of warm air from the attic. With a 3 storey house, my attic gets extremely warm despite all the insulation, so I was thinking of reusing the old warm air central hearing ducts and vents to push warm air from the attic back into the house.

I also figured that I would also be able to have a second unit installed that worked in the opposite direction to remove hot air from rooms in the summer.

Does anyone have any experience converting such systems? I could imagine that the installation of a few fans, some air filters, ducts and non-return valves could be relatively cheap. As the ducting is all in place, I imagine I could quite easily take advantage of some savings in heating costs.

Jon

PS - I live in the UK. So summers and winters are never that severe.

shrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote