View Single Post
Old 01-03-13, 05:08 PM   #16
opiesche
Helper EcoRenovator

Very good question. I'd mostly do small things we learnt during the process from the beginning to make the job easier. If I wanted to summarize,

-cutting the OSB substrate at an angle at the tubing turns so that the tubing doesn't pop out as easily when running it

-spray down a little spray adhesive before putting down the underlayment so it doesn't slide around when putting the flooring down on top

-I'd definitely tackle crawlspace/underfloor insulation first, as I now realize how much of the heat I'm losing downwards.

-What I would think about changing about the heating system is possibly use smaller spacing between the tube runs to help the alternating warmer and cooler spots on the floor and increase the output, but that may very well be alleviated with the crawlspace insulation.

-Use Sharkbite PEX connectors wherever possible, as the crimp fittings can be a pain to get water tight

In terms of the installation process, I think the fact that my dad and I did almost 1000 square feet in 10 days including ripping out carpet, installing the heating system, installing the hardwood floors, and cleanup, shows that it worked pretty well. I don't think I'd use a prefabricated floor panel system over the strip cut OSB, because that would actually make it more difficult in many places to route the tubing through tight spots and around hallway corners. Some of the routing where multiple runs from different rooms come together would have been really tricky to make fit with prefabricated panels.

As for the hardwood floors, I stand by saying that strand woven bamboo is the way to go. It's ecologically friendly, not too pricey, and despite the fact that we're hard on floors (e.g. big dogs and a bunch of various construction and renovation work *after* the floors were put in) we don't have more than a few surface coat scratches that are hardly visible. This stuff is tough.
opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opiesche For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (01-04-13), Daox (01-04-13)