View Single Post
Old 09-06-11, 05:12 PM   #14
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I have an American Standard 6 liter(1.6 gallon)flush from December of 2004 in my house. Instead of using the rubber flapper it uses a tower that lifts and then when the water is down to where it's used the 1.6 gallons the tower drops down to stop the floor. The opening looks to be 3 inches and it works great. If I ever feel the need for a deeper flush, if I don't pull the handle to where it disengages the handle and waits for the 'tower to drop' it will cycle through the whole tank which is about 3 gallons or so. It isn't a dual-flush but it behaves as a triple flush because I can manipulate the handle to have the open all the way without having it engage the part that holds the tower so it doesn't release when you release the handle and as soon as the water starts going down, which is pretty much right away, I release the handle and based on the fill time between 1.6 gallons and when I'm doing this, it seems to be using about half the water and cleans out all the yellow water and has a decent amount of water coming down while its draining to washdown the bowl. I clean my toilet once a month and there is barely anything to clean so it seems to be working fairly well for me, I could probably go to a 2 month toilet cleaning and probably should considering the disposable toilet paper cleaning pad thing and the chemicals in it but it never seemed like much plus they are cheap at ~$4 for a 12 pack and easiest to use.

I figure the cadet 3 might be better and more automatic.

I've got an old school 1985 toilet downstairs and got a dual flush kit so I can replace my leaky rubber flapper, I'll give it a shot but I thought that if you are using the 'full flush' setting that it would use the same amount of water and get all the brown down? Is there an adjustment issue if that was a problem I'd readjust to allow for a full flush and then use whatever setting is needed to take care of the yellow-to-clear water replacement.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote