View Single Post
Old 07-19-15, 03:00 AM   #1
apophis
Lurking Renovator

Default DIY Air-to-Water with old R407C on/off outdoor unit

Hi,

Decided to register because I was asked for more details about heat pump in youtube video (id _Cb635AmB1I).

Some background.

I live in northern Finland in a house that has total living area about 140m2 in two floors. The house has floor heating with water in all rooms and was originally heated by Nibe 410P exhaust air heat pump. This model was at the time quite common in Finland and Sweden.

Nibe 410P does the air exchange in the house and puts energy from the waste exhaust air to water tank with heat pump. It has 650W compressor and it uses R290 (propane) as refrigerant. Additionally there is an immersion heater to backup the compressor.

After 6 years of running the compressor bearing broke and rendered the heat pump part useless. About two years Nibe used only immersion heater to heat the water.

Family of five in the house using hot water and me looking at the electric bill I decided to reuse refrigerant loop in the water tank. Idea was to make hot water when outside temperature is above 0 degrees so I would not have to worry about defrosting.

I managed to find cheap (advertised like new!) on/off type heat pump out door unit that was capillary feed R407C refrigerant machine.

Name:  WP_20150109_002.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  485.2 KB

Here it is after opening the shipment. For my disappointment the unit was clearly used and refrigerants were long gone and both port valves were wide open. So there had been moisture in the system for a long time and wet POE oils in compressor. To minimize the costs I vacuumed the unit and started looking for good advice from local forums.

Continuing in next post...

apophis is offline   Reply With Quote