View Single Post
Old 04-26-13, 11:17 AM   #27
scottorious
Helper EcoRenovator

I understand what you are saying about cooling the mass past the point that I would normally cool my house. However My intention was to not cool the house to a point cooler than I would normally cool my house. I'll give my entire strategy in detail with hopes to clarify what I want to do or for someone to better explain where my plan is failing. I may be so far off on this but nobody has provided clear reasoning other than just saying it won't work.

for this example lets say I use 100 KWH a day to run the A/C and its spread out throughout the day. Its an effective plan however when the A/C wants to run the most will be when the power cost the most.

In my plan lets say I still use 100 KWH of energy in a 24 hour time frame. However instead of spreading that out all day I use most or all of it during the hours when electricity is the cheapest. Maybe my house will see larger swings in temperature but as I insulate more and more I hope to lessen that swing. and I can deal with the temp not being a constant 70. I also would have to make a great effort at reducing heat gain from cooking/showering.

In my head(and Ive been known to be way off before) whether I run the A/C all day or once a day it is still removing the same amount of heat, or no?

Another question, would running the A/C in the cooler temps of the night be more efficient for it? Last question, would running the A/C once for an hour be more efficient than running it for 3 20 minute periods over 2 hours. Basically is start up power enough that running the A/C fewer cycles but longer periods would amount to anything?
scottorious is offline   Reply With Quote