View Single Post
Old 04-26-13, 09:50 AM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottorious View Post
Explain what is optimistic about my 80,000 BTU estimation. if 8 pounds raises 10 degrees in 3 hours why would 1000 pounds of water in 8 pound containers not raise 10 degrees?
scottorious,

You're not sounding very caveman anymore.

However, you might not be able to 'pull the coolness' from the milk bottles filled with water as rapidly as you would like to. Experiments like this that were performed earlier used plastic soda pop bottles, which would give larger area per gallon.

If you did some experiments with an array of milk bottles, arranged as you expect to use them, and measured the rate of temperature decline... maybe plotting the temperatures against time, you'd begin to know if you could get the effect you expect.

If you actually did this, you would learn a lot... and if you shared your results in this forum, we'd all learn a lot.

If it didn't release coolness as fast as you wish, some smaller containers might be called for, like maybe a bunch of soda bottles. Or, going the other way, some plastic 50 gallon barrels (three would give you 1,252 pounds of water) with some pumps and fans and heat exchangers with larger areas than you could get with milk bottles.

BTW, have you searched through some of the alternative energy books that were written during the 1970's? There was a lot of work being done then, some very good, some not so much.

I went to our local really big used book store, and they have a very big section on alternative energy books, that are concerned with citizens taking energy issues into their own hands, similar to what you seem to be talking about doing.

One day, I actually went through all of the books, noting the number of alternative energy books that were published in each year. It was interesting to see that these kinds of books were remarkably absent before the 1973 oil embargo, and then a building tidal wave of books appeared and continued to grow until 1981, the year Ronald Reagan was elected, and then they rapidly declined to insignificance afterwards. But then again, beginning about 12 to 15 years ago, books on these topics began to reappear in numbers that approaching those from the 70's.

You might find some very interesting material there...

-AC
Mobile Master Tech (06-07-13)