View Single Post
Old 10-27-18, 11:04 PM   #134
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default working toward off grid

Here we are, the end of October. I've had the inverter pulled apart to manufacture a liquid cooled heat-sink.

No matter the number of fans with the finned aluminum heat-sink the result was still same, IGBT temps rising dangerously high as we push the power. The finned heat-sink would keep the temps in-check up-to 8500 watts.

Doubling the fans and heat-sink size may "possibly" get us to 20,000 watts but the drone of all the fans may drive us crazy. With the little 12 volt pump and kick space heater fan (two speed) its near silent.

Using a liquid cooled heat-sink I can spot cool the back of the IGBT's AND direct the heat to other places. For now a kick space heater with a nice quiet centrifugal fan assisting to warm the garage. If I get ambitious I could direct the heat to the in-floor heating.

The result of near off-grid life here reduced the electric bills to really low amount I haven't seen in years. It was a couple months of some serious air-conditioning and running the house as usual with the exception of clothes dryer and car charging at the same moment.

Randen
Attached Images

randen is offline   Reply With Quote