View Single Post
Old 07-31-12, 11:23 PM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Well, turns out that this isn't going to work as expected. When I figured the mini-fridge would work, I didn't realize the door made it difficult to pack things inside and the 'knee wall' of the refrigerator prevented certain things from fitting inside. I also realized I would need to give up frozen pizza and ice cream. Frozen pizza is one of those things I like because I can cook it outside on the porch without heating the house. I figured this might happen but it turns out that it really is half usable size that I really need otherwise I'll be grocery shopping on a weekly basis and consuming the entire 'freezer' instead of grocery shopping once a month like I'm used to. I also realized that I have people over often enough to where I really should have a place to chill beer or make ice for drinks and I can't use a cooler unless I have ice, which I don't have room to make in this thing. I also realized after testing today that the 14 degrees actually spans to 20 degrees and I figured it's not worth the risk of getting sick.

...so what this means is that soon there will be a new thread including pictures of improving my refrigerator efficiency.

Thanks for the advice though. I am considering moving the refrigerator/freezer to the basement now though just because it does use more power upstairs where it typically gets 80 degrees or hotter during the day and the runtime and frequency of operation are noticeably longer. Kill-a-watt meter says it would be 637kwh/year if these conditions were year round, or about 53kwh/month so moving it downstairs for the 3 hottest months could be significant.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote