View Single Post
Old 05-14-12, 11:12 AM   #3
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I mostly asked the question because I wanted to know whether or not my current windows will make much of a difference if I ever am required to replace my furnace and A/C. This thread is old though and at this point, I already know heat loss is smaller than any standard residential furnace that is on the market today. It seems there are RV furnaces that match my heat load but those aren't to the same standard as one designed to a house and it would be against code to use one. The heat gain doesn't really matter much in this situation because that is more of a SHGC situation than whether or not air is getting between the panes of glass through a broken seal.

I like how you mentioned installing shades on the outside. I have actually thought about this a bit before and thought of using window darkening film on the outside but found the price was sky high and not worth it. I didn't want those large shades that roll down because they don't make them for a large bay window that I have on the side that needs shading. I've actually settled on the idea of building a discrete frame with either a very dense bug screen or multiple layers of bugscreen to block the light so I don't have anything dark inside. This will also be easy to remove unlike installing window film on the window because I really need that sunlight in the winter so removing them is a MUST or I will be required to turn the furnace on in the winter when we have 20+ degree sunny winter days. I'd rather not, I liked this winters 50 therm heating bill, dirt cheap.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote