View Single Post
Old 01-05-12, 10:47 AM   #12
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I'm thinking R75 roof.
I asked him if he would make any changes, and he said that he wished he'd put more insulation in the roof.

Just to keep things in perspective for you, the area where I live, has a Heating Degree Day rating of about 4,500. It looks like where you are, HDD is about 8,000. Our winters are fairly mild and direct sunshine is obscured by the clouds that blow over from the Pacific ocean. I'd imaging your winters are more of a challenge, and that you have more solar energy available.

Quote:
The difference with mine is that I'd go with a ductless minisplit for heating and cooling instead of wood. I'd like to go all electric even though I love cooking with a gas stove(might go with propane for that).
I think mini-splits are great, I sure like mine.

However, I have been pursuing the practice of keeping multiple modes of heating & cooking, where possible. Although not as bad as it was, we still have power outages from time to time, and I'm always glad that my gas range still functions. I have a wood stove in the basement, too.

My gas demand water heater uses two D-cells as it's ignition source, so power outages don't affect it either. Once when we had a power outage, I went in and took a long hot shower by candle light, just because I could. It was a very practical luxury.

[QUOTE=MN Renovator;18850]...Basically what I'm saying is that natural gas is expensive when you don't use any...[QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one. I'm tempted to go propane for that reason. Most months, my gas use is less expensive than the fixed fees that are tacked on. But right now, the difference doesn't outweigh the cost & hassle of switching over.

Quote:
I'd probably use a space heater as my backup heat since I already own it, maybe turn the toaster oven on if I really need it...

Here's an interesting type of small heater, that is wall-mount and direct vent (combustion air in, exhaust gas out) and is very unobtrusive. Some brands of these are able to be retrofitted to run on either NG or LP gas. It has no pilot light (uses piezo), and uses no electricity to operate.

I think one of these should be in my kitchen.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-05-12 at 10:55 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote