View Single Post
Old 12-11-10, 10:20 AM   #9
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It's OK to disagree, IMHO. No offense taken Robert.

Popular Mechanics has an article that discusses the possible replacement of incandescent and CFLs with LEDs. I don't regard PM as a primary paper, but they have some interesting thoughts. It's the August 2010 edition, I think.

I have not seen the LEDnovation bulbs either. I have to wonder if they even exist yet. If the LED manufacturers don't make the LEDs... I'm skeptical. I'd also like to see independent tests.

I saw this tactic used by a new wind turbine company last year. An entire 5 story office building is being built to accomodate several of these new turbines. I called them and asked for specifications. They had none. Beautiful brochure though. How many do you have in the field? none. Where are your prototypes? prototypes?? what's that?

CFL's have 50 to 70 lumens per watt.The new Luxeon LED bulbs have 400 lumens per watt. [edit, yes, I am mistaken. The 3 watt unit produces 180 lumens according to EBAY's topbright88]. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly? The 5 and 10 watt bulbs are so new, they are not appearing in products that I've seen anyway. LED technology is still in its infancy. There is mucho scrutiny to undergo.

BTW, I'm still getting used to this posting software. It has wiped out several of my post responses. So bear with me.

Last edited by philb; 12-11-10 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: incorrect information
philb is offline   Reply With Quote