View Single Post
Old 04-21-14, 11:06 AM   #18
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I thought about the issues of using solar and wind with grid tie several years ago when the local 'REC' said there would be no problem putting a wind generator on the grid. I could roll the meter backwards to zero, but would not be given credit for any access power I put on the grid. Things have changed now. Credits are issued.

Oklahoma has some big corporations with big money and lots of lobbyists to look after their "needs". One of them is a major gas and energy producer. They are just looking after their own interests.

There are hundreds of large Vespa and GE wind turbines in the western part of Oklahoma and you may elect to buy RE from the large power company at an increased rate. Maybe that is a step in the right direction.

At any rate, I decided then to not put the power on the grid because of constant new regulations. All my RE power is not on grid, nor will it be. It is a 100% separate system. The tax man will still tax me on having the solar panels and equipment though.

If I was putting the power on the grid and using it basically as a storage battery, I wouldn't object too much. That saves a lot of time of maintaining batteries and the cost of them. I spend about two hours per month checking the SG and fluid levels. For me, that's tedious and I always have the threat of spilling battery acid. I'm always looking at the battery meter in the house.

Maybe I've helped to put things in perspective. There are good and bad to both sides. My choice was right for me but it's not for everyone. If you want a carefree system, then you have to pay the piper.
philb is offline   Reply With Quote