View Single Post
Old 12-21-21, 09:01 PM   #13
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

Default fast forward

Pat, we secured our retirement property and now have a better idea of what the house will look like. I just re-found this thread and as soon as I started typing I have and idea!
We won't have the best southern exposure, but are going for a modern style, with single pitch roofs and clerestory windows. We will utilize generous overhangs to control summer heat. My new idea:
Space the clerestory windows in the upper wall area and put your style of solar collector between those spaced windows. This area has a 2' overhang, which will keep the summer high angle sun off the panels. It will keep the rain off them too.
In the shoulder and winter when we want the heat, they will be in sun. I will build chases into the center of the house for the heat ducts to/from the panels, and also conduit for the solar panels.
The south roof will be coated with grid tied solar, a couple of dedicated DC panels, and drainback water pre-heat.
I am planning on a 6' high crawlspace (LOL crawl!)
I will insulate the crawlspace wall, then build a plywood box and fill with 2" or so washed rock. That will be insulated and I will pipe hot air into that for storage. I am going for simple heat mass.

Last edited by skyking; 12-22-21 at 09:01 AM..
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote