View Single Post
Old 06-16-15, 01:41 AM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
...While the American system of government is far from perfect, it is indeed what most of the rest of the world envies. I am extremely grateful to live in the society our leaders have labored and struggled to provide me...
If you were someone who was born into wealth, I would completely understand why you would say what you have said, because that is exactly what they say.

For someone of modest means, I think you might not realize the degree to which the deck is stacked against you.

Our leaders struggled for a system of equal justice for all... Do we have that? Ask any African American, they can explain it to you.

Our leaders also struggled for a system of economic equality. In fact some of our founding states had the word "Commonwealth" in their name... do we have that? The chart below would suggest that we do not have wealth equality. In fact, we have never been farther away from wealth equality than we are right now.

Our leaders struggled to make sure we would not become entangled in foreign wars. Need I say more about that?

If you want to measure us against Afghanistan, then we are doing really great, especially since we destroyed so much of their country.

But if you measure us against the Scandinavian countries, then you will see that they have attained what "our leaders have labored and struggled to provide".

They have a better Judicial system

They have a less corrupt government

They have a far more fair distribution of income,

They actually have "freedom of the press"

They are more successful in their pursuit of happiness

They Live Longer than we do

We have fallen way behind in Infant Mortality

In order to make the United States "The Best", it is necessary to recognize that it is not already the best.

I was talking to a friend a few years back... she had just returned from a cruise of the "Inside Passage" that goes from Prince Rupert to Alaska. She was amazed to find so many Europeans on the ship.

She asked on why this was, and the reply was that it was very affordable because, "The United States is the new Mexico."

-Best,

-AC
Higgy (06-16-15)