View Single Post
Old 12-30-13, 09:57 AM   #9
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

0.95 energy factor with no more pilot light burring gas. No more water in my attic and worrying about it freezing up there.

I installed my tankless water heater this weekend. This is the first time I have used MAPP gas for soldering copper. This stuff is so good I will never go back to propane. This is the first time I used PEX. WOW this stuff is such an improvement I just love this stuff.

I put in two Tee’s with ½ PEX valves on the hot water at both ends of my house for a return line. I put in a Tee and a ¾ PEX valve at my hot water tank. I just need to run ½ PEX and pipe insulation for the return line and put in a recirculation pump.

I was going to leave my old tank in place because it does not require power to run and only use it when the power goes out but it would not pass code I do not have enough gas supply to run both and no way to guard against this from happening. So I took disconnected the old one.

The new tank requires power to operate so we will not have hot water when the power goes out. I am going to charge a car battery with a solar panel. I bought a real sine wave inverter just a little bigger than it will require to run the new tankless unit. I need to experiment with how long the battery will last with my new inverter.

The new recirculation will have a aquastat and will be hooked up to my home automation.
The bathrooms we have new commutation light switches. When you turn on the bathroom light it will kick off the recirculation pump for a certain amount of time.

Attached Images

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-30-13 at 10:20 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote