View Single Post
Old 10-02-12, 10:26 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default What is your average utility cost per month?

I'm just curious how much things fluxuate. I know our heating and cooling degree days are all over the place depending on our climates. Also, rates for utilities vary depending where you are quite a bit. So, I'm wondering if cost is more consistent, or if it fluxuates just as wildly.

My average utility cost for the past year has been $170/mo. That includes natural gas, electric, and sewer.

Broken down further:
Natural gas: $55
Electric: $65
Sewer: $50

Average electric cost: .17/kwh (this is my total cost divided by kwh used, so it includes all service charges)
Average natural gas cost: $1.06 (this is my total cost divided by therms used, so it includes all service charges)
Sewer is a flat rate since I have my own well and just use city sewer. My water use isn't metered (yet, I plan to add a meter for my own records).

I'm hoping that my solar hot water panel setup will reduce that natural gas down to around $30. It will also lower the electric a decent amount because I've switched to an electric hot water heater in the last year (knowing I'd be putting up the solar hot water).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 10-02-12 at 10:34 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post: