View Single Post
Old 04-01-13, 06:39 AM   #8
razor02097
Helper EcoRenovator

That is an interesting list. I completely agree with things like paper plates and swiffers but not so much with the sanitary products.

Facial tissues are much more sanitary... If you are sick and use a disposable tissue you blow your nose, throw it in the garbage then wash your hands all is well. If you use a handkerchief you must carry it around with you increasing risk of recontamination of your hands. An alternative to facial tissues is use of bathroom tissue. It is cheaper and is something everyone has.

The best thing to do is to reduce the use of disposable products and reuse some of the disposable products when it is possible. There are some messes I would not want to clean up with a cloth then wash it. I do reuse zip top bags for things like cereal or other dry goods. bags are better for portioning and freezing, they take up less room.

As for the battery thing. I completely agree the use of rechargeable batteries makes sense if your house goes though a lot of batteries. Just make sure to keep alkaline batteries for things like emergency flashlights and radios. Alkalines are chemical batteries that can hold their electrical capacity for many years. Rechargeable batteries have the tendency to bleed off power over time even when not in use.
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote