View Single Post
Old 11-12-09, 03:07 PM   #10
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
For now I rigged up a Kill A Watt energy meter to read one side of the 240v ac line that the inverter uses. I should be able to multiply the watt hour readings by 2 to get a good idea of what the system is producing. A note on the Kill A Watt; it reads the current on the neutral line. Trying to do what I am, that is a problem. The 240 system to the inverter doesn't use the neutral for current carrying, just communication. I had to route one of the hot wires thru the Kill A Watt's neutral side and the neutral thru the other. The Kill A Watt doesn't seem to mind, and seems to be reporting current consistant to my clamp on meter.

So, if I wanted to see how much power my 230V heat pump was using,
I could cut one of the 230 lines and run it through the Neutral pins of my Kill-a-Watt?
And tie the Hot (smaller) pin to ground?
And, of course I would multiply the watts etc by two..

I'm just picturing a 120v extension cord, cut in half, plugged into the KillaWatt and patched into a 230v line..

Well, that was easy. I just took a look at the PCB and found a Resistance loop wire in between the neutral In and Out.
There is a trace on both ends of the Loop wire that lead up the PCB.
So, it seems like it might be pretty easy to wire my P4460 up to measure wattage on a 230 line.. Just need an old extension cord..

Last edited by Xringer; 11-12-09 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Adding picture
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote