View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 01:09 AM   #2
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Heatball :: Home

Apparently, the incandescent bulb has been outright banned in Germany, but one entrepreneur is selling "Heat Balls" for 1.69 Euro a piece.

Heat Balls are a home heating device that screws right into a light socket. They use a tungsten filament inside a glass globe to produce heat with >95% efficiency.
ROTFLOL

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. A lightbulb is a much more efficient heater, after all. On the other hand, I understand that even thought the HEATBALL is a 95%-efficient heater, it still wastes 5% of its energy as visible wavelength light. I've seen infrared lightbulbs (used to keep things warm) but I have no idea how efficient those are.

And yes, incandescent bulbs are being phased out in Europe. Even though many people are protesting, the Wife and I are personally happy about it, since it has made more efficient lighting options available at reasonable prices. Before the ban, halogen incandescent light bulbs (about 20-30% more efficient) were not to be found, and the price of CFLs has dropped 50% in the last 2 years.
Attached Images

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 11-07-10 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Added smiley
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote