View Single Post
Old 07-05-12, 10:13 PM   #3
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi,
I'm experimenting around with the pool heating panels as part of a cheap and easy to build solar water heating system -- this link shows the 80 sf of Fafco panel I bought and how its installed on the roof -- its pretty simple and pretty cheap: Off The Shelf Solar DHW -- Cheap and Easy DIY Solar Water Heating
The collectors are made from polypropylene and have many closely space water channels -- the pool water is pumped directly through them and normally your regular pool pump will be able to handle the panels.

As the link shows, the panels are mounted to the roof with simple plastic coated metal straps -- in mine, the strap is secured to the roof using stainless steel screws and roofing cement. If you had to re-roof, I'd think you could take the panels off in a couple hours and put them back in in a bit more than that, but I'm not sure.

I paid $2 per sqft for the 80 sf I bought, this included the mounting straps and the couplers to hook the panels together. I got them on ebay. In addition to this you will need some PVC pipe, a vacuum relief valve, a diverter valve to send the water to the collectors or not and a few other odds and ends -- nothing really expensive. If you want to automate the system you will need a differential controller for swiming pools -- Google Goldline.
If you get them from ebay, I'd pick one of the places that operates a pool supply place and call them and tell them what you want to do, and they can help you pick out the right kit of fittings, valves, ...

The very rough rule of thumb is that you should have a collector area equal to half of the water surface area of your pool, so this would be up toward 400 sf -- but, it depends a lot on where you live, how hot you like the water, and how long a season you want. Some good guides and calculators here: Solar Pool Heating
You need to use a pool cover -- if you don't, its kind of like trying to heat a house with no roof.

Solar pool heating is the best payback under the sun -- pretty hard to go wrong.

Do you have a heater now? If so, what's it costing you to run it?

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote