View Single Post
Old 02-28-14, 04:35 PM   #3
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Borrow a trick from the window shakers. They use a "sling blade" on the outdoor coil to grab the cold evaporator water and sling it all over the condenser. The hotter it gets outside, the better it works. Hotter outdoors + more humidity = more condensed water to feed the hot coil. That's how the window shakers keep blowing ice cold air even when it's blazing outside.

I made the mistake of not sealing up a hole I drilled in my drain pan last year. In heating mode, the water built up and froze in the pan. The unit took forever to defrost. To fix it, I drilled a hole in the pan, and defrost times took a nosedive. The following summer, the unit lost cooling capacity when it got hot outside. After taping up the hole I had drilled, the cooling capacity immediately returned.

With your mini-split unit, you can stick a drain pan where your indoor unit drains outside. Simply stick a fountain pump in the pan and plumb it to a mini spray nozzle that sprays on your outdoor unit intake. You will be recycling the cold water your indoor unit has produced. This is how the newer portable a/c units dispose of the condensate they produce. The water is dripped onto the condenser fan and blown out the window after being reheated by the condenser.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote