View Single Post
Old 09-29-14, 08:53 PM   #19
OffGridKindaGuy
Hi-Tech Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to OffGridKindaGuy

Making heat with any alternative is tough. It's not an option for me, not even solar heating. Too many gloomy days during the winter. It would take a field full of solar panels and a huge hydro generator to make enough to heat a house around here. Ya gotta burn something, be it propane, wood, whatever..

I considered pellets myself but moisture and storage issues stopped that. If they draw moisture, they fall apart. I don't have enough indoor storage to keep them dry and I already use ~1/4 of my heated area for water storage. (No well or cistern) I collect from my roof..

Wood can be stored outside and all you need to do is keep direct weather from it. Just keep the top covered and you're good to go. I can heat for a season for ~6-7 hundred bucks and there's nothing like wood burner heat. I cook on the wood burner all winter so that saves propane..

Considered coal but it's really nasty! I remember that from my childhood. Easy to store and it won't soak up water but...

I'm not totally against the grid. It has its place in society but for everyday home use, it sure could be used much more efficiently than it is. I prove this every day..

At this moment, I have one light fixture on that lights up 3 rooms enough to do anything, (Cold Cathode Fluorescent) several small LED fixtures that runs 24/7, XM rcvr. and amp for speakers, fan on my composting bathroom fixture, charging 2 cell phones and two electronic cig batteries, and this laptop computer and consuming 4 amps @ 12 v.d.c. direct from the battery. No inverter anywhere. When I go to bed, there's a 1.7 amp draw on the battery..

I have a different view of the grid since I haven't relied on it for so long. It's funny watching folks squirm when it goes down..