View Single Post
Old 09-29-14, 05:07 PM   #18
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMCF View Post
I also considered pellets. There were some practical problems, such as the amount of space needed to store them is high since they are not very dense, I wasn't convinced an auto-feed mechanism would work reliably for the expected lifetime of a burner, and there seemed to be a lot of dust involved in having a large delivery.
The cost seemed fine, but I thought the price of pellets might go up once there was more of an installed base.
I really wanted pellets to be a good choice but in the end there were just too many drawbacks and uncertainties. Perhaps if reasonably-priced equipment to make your own pellets were available I would have taken a different view.
I did see those 'make your own pellets' on you tube but wasn't convinced the high price was worth the hassle and then there are the expensive cutters that have to be replaced.

Personally I'm not a big fan of wood, I have a lot on my land that in the form of down trees and such. It's cheap if you have the timber, that's what it has going for it, if you ask me. I have a 3 point splitter for the tractor and I can churn out the cords pretty fast so it's a good enough second option for me if the power goes down. I really like the idea of heating with microhydro because it runs pretty much 24/7 here in the spring, I just have to get it in. That with wind and an occasional wood fire should do me well.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote