View Single Post
Old 08-26-14, 07:05 PM   #6
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

You can complain about the current series of events in technology all you want. It's not going to change anything. People cried about the telegraph when it came out. People cried about industrial robots when they came of age. People cried about the internet, and electric cars, and cellphones, and flat tv's, and...everything at one time or another.

What happened to these masses of people? They were thrown under the rug, and then the road, and were overrun by imminent progress. Others were simply bulldozed out of the way, written off as casualties. Still others tagged along for the ride, and actually remained to improve things along the way.

I began asking you questions in your radical postings to try to soften the edge of your rantings, as well as to present a different angle on your statements, to try to provoke some rational thought and steer the conversations in a less hardcore direction. Assuming you are knowledgeable in the subjects you preach, most of the answers were blatantly obvious. The answers were trivial in nature concerning the subject.

In all cases, you missed the hint, continuing to blither about supply-side solutions. I am not a big wheel power engineering executive, with an army of eager engineers to do my bidding. Even if I was, I would not be trying to complicate the already kludged power distribution and generation grid with any more harmonic reduction initiatives than I absolutely needed. These devices just add more losses and expense to what is already lossy and expensive enough.

From the manufacturing side, the old-school core and coil, brute force passive devices are much more expensive to produce than their silicon-chip based counterparts. This is one of the big reasons why CRT displays are now an endangered species. When an OEM can sell an LCD screen TV that costs less than a third of the price to make, that weighs a fifth of what the previous generation did, that occupies 10% or less of the volume, that they can sell for the same or higher price, there is no choice in the matter. They make the switch and nail the coffin shut on the old products. To do otherwise would be their demise.

You strike me as a bible salesman, preaching the word every day and shoving bibles in everyone's hands you meet. That's not a bad thing, someone has to do it. But sooner or later, I'm gonna have to slam the door in your face, whether I buy a bible or not. I have better things to do than waste my whole afternoon listening to and arguing with you. Being courteous and trying to understand your point of view can only last so long before it stops working for me.

Last edited by jeff5may; 08-26-14 at 07:10 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote