View Single Post
Old 02-08-15, 10:56 PM   #4
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I am making a DIY fish tank cooler from a water jug cooler , for the thermal mass rather then water It will employ cement or common grout with its fine grade silica sand.

the stainless chiller bucket will not be used , just the copper refrigerant tubing that spirals around it.

Its that tubing that will be embedded in concrete and wrapped in layers of thin black poly tubing with concrete or grout in between to insure 100% contact and thermal transfer from one coil to the next.

After its wrapped with 70 feet of tubing ,inside and outside of the copper spiral
I will encase in a few inches of concrete to act as the thermal storage.
then it will be encased in about 6" of ' Great Stuff ' spray insulation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

to circulate the tank water threw the tubing I will us my Aqua Lifter dosing pump ,which is normally used in conjunction with a float switch for automatic top ups of the main fish tank from a lower water tank.

The Aqua dosing pump is rated at 3GPH , it is going to be controlled by a eBay temperature controller relay with on / off temp settings.

The stock water cooler comes with full control over temperature settings so I have its built temp controller to adjust the chiller itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote