View Single Post
Old 08-12-15, 11:00 AM   #6
bmxeroh
Helper EcoRenovator

What you're describing is a heat pump, with water as a working fluid and without taking advantage of the physics of condensing and evaporating a gas. You would be better off hanging an air conditioner out of that window. Otherwise you will have ridiculous heat exchanger requirements well beyond what 10 meters or so of copper tube is going to be able to handle.

If you don't want to go the AC route, you're first line of defense is going to be reducing your heating gains during the day. The more heat you keep out during the day the less you need to remove at night, and will make things like fans in the windows much more effective. There are quite a few posts in the conservation section detailing other members approaches. I personally am a huge fan of heavy black out curtains, but they are not joking when they say black out so if darkness is a problem they may not be for you. Window film also works great, but it really depends on how much of your solar gain is due to window area vs the entire exterior heating. Gary @ BuildItSolar: Solar energy projects for Do It Yourselfers to save money and reduce pollution has a bunch of articles of his own and others regarding this, as well as some novel cooling techniques that may interest you.

No matter how you do it, you have to move heat out of the structure and into the air and then out of the air inside and into the air outside.

I do apologize if it seems like I'm tearing apart every idea you have. I'm just trying to not have you waste time or money.
bmxeroh is offline   Reply With Quote