View Single Post
Old 02-20-15, 08:18 PM   #499
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Such as I plan to build a second floor radiant loop into my open lofted sleeping area even if I don't connect it. Right now the existing cabin structure(built on a similar floor plan but only half the insulation of the new addtn) has never needed the baseboard heat that is in it. I will be putting a thin slab floor upstairs for solar gain so I might as well run pex in it at the same time.

Again, HR heating is not a much used heating method in my area yet so finding example to query owners on is minimal. I appreciate the input from those who are doing a lot of work with it. If you think that there is just one "best" way to do anything than I don't work in the same world of contractors and journeyman.
20+ years ago I built a house for my mom with 2x12 plates and offset studs, filled with cellulose. It is a 2 two storey place with 2 bdrms, bath and office on the 2nd floor.......and no heat. The only heat is from a 1/2" tube floor heat system in a 6" slab, fed by an electric water heater and 4 solar panels. Point is, the difference in temp from the main floor to the second floor was 2C and the HRV moved the heat around. When you get down to the level of heat loss that you are seeking, efficiencies present themselves. We save a nice chunk of money by not putting heat on the second floor. By all means, rough in the supply tubing for a manifold up there but I suspect you won't need it.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote