View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 08:38 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd View Post
the pros seem to outweigh that small cost.
This thread is misplaced, it should go in the 'Geothermal' section. I know that Geothermal might seem a bit misnamed, but all of the vapor-compression stuff goes there.

It would be useful if you could post a picture, or a drawing, or a diagram of a reverse cycle chiller. This would help those of us who may think that Reverse Cycle Chiller is really just a Heat Pump under a different name.

And have you seen the excellent work that Acuario (AKA: Nigel) has done in converting air conditioners into water heating machines, that he is using to heat his swimming pool in Spain, and now his house, too. His work can be found in the Geothermal section, in a thread called, "Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) Hacks & Mods".

He took existing air conditioners, re-arranged the refrigerant flow a bit, and built a refrigerant-to-water heat exchanger out of copper tubing and ABS waste pipe. He has good descriptions, and useful photos.

Also, please note that he switched his machines from R-22 to a hydrocarbon refrigerant... better for the environment.

Overall, a very impressive accomplishment.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 02-09-12 at 08:43 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote