View Single Post
Old 11-05-12, 03:30 PM   #16
Sirius
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post

The new door handle/lock that I got was $23. It was a mid-grade brand, but all the parts were metal, and had a better strike plate. On the old knob, some of the parts on the inside were plastic. (I saw one brand as cheap as $9! Hate to think about the quality of that one!)

I eventually did an autopsy, and narrowed the problem down to a tiny spec of cheap metal that simply broke off inside the latch. Cheap piece of #$@$#%%$^&**!
A long time ago, in a former life, I used to be a locksmith. I hate to break it to you Ben... $23 is not a mid grade lock. You can tell either by the price, or the fact you got it at a big box store. They are what kept me in food, responding to and fixing your exact problem.

Basically, lock manufacturers make cheap stuff that they sell in bulk to big chain hardware stores. Then they will retool and make a higher quality run that they sell in smaller bulk to locksmith supply stores.

The next time you need a lock, find a locksmith supply store and see if they will sell to you. If not, go to a locksmith shop, and pay his retail price for a good quality lock. Ask for the locksmith grade. Expect to pay +/- $100.00. However, you are talking about the silent sentry guarding your house and family while you sleep. This is one of those things you pay top dollar for so it does not fail at the most inopportune time.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote