View Single Post
Old 08-20-12, 10:03 AM   #14
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
For those of you with metal roofs, what's the sound like when it rains? It's obviously not irritating to any of you seeing as though you seem to love them. Is it loud when it rains compared to an asphalt roof?
I am a musician and sound is quite important to me...

The rain-sound is going to depend on the type of metal you use and the gauge of metal and whether any sound damping material is placed under it.

I have light gauge aluminum roofing, with no serious damping material under it, over a cathedral ceiling. The sound is definitely louder than with comp. The sound is less like a pitter-patter of rain and more like a tink-tink-tink of rain... in that the sound of each individual drop is there to be heard.

Over the years, I have had comp, cedar shingles and now aluminum. As far as rainy day sound quality, my favorite by far is cedar. However, for durability purposes, I would not have a cedar roof again unless I could get old growth heart wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Also, what about rain water collection? I've heard some people don't use gutters because they have metal roofs, but what if I want to keep collecting rain water?
I have a metal roof and I have gutters to control moisture incursion into the cellar. Metal roofs are probably the best possible roofs for collecting rain water. Not to worry...

-AC
Higgy (08-20-12)