View Single Post
Old 08-21-17, 10:20 PM   #15
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
I have an above ground pool . But i swim in it and its already hot enough in there . I am thinking of doing my method of drilling a few shallow water wells and using a light mist with a dc motor . Not very smart on the energy efficient of that type stuff though
Rig your shallow well pump and misting system up to a solar panel and see how it goes. Cool water takes lots of BTU power and efficiency from the ground and deposits that power indoors. It's amazing how just a few degrees cooler of condenser temperature really boosts the comfort indoors.

The process relies on this formula:

gpm = btu/hr / (Delta-T x 500)

For example, at 1 GPM and a 20 degF Delta T, you can cover up to 10k of the heat load with the cool water. How much more air is blowing through the outdoor unit? Thousands of times more.

Even better, these factors add up:

Air heat + water heat = total heat

I'm sure you could get the most out of the existing mini split this way. With the sun providing pump energy and the water washing away the heat, the upgrade would be essentially free to operate after the initial investment. Definitely worth a try.

If the water cooling rig works well on the existing rig, you might want to consider a pump and dump heat pump system instead of the recirculating ground loop setup. If you have the well capacity, it's a lot easier to build and take care of than a massive ground loop. Plus, the supply water temperature remains the same year round. A loop will float around in temperature every cycle as well as with mode of operation.

Last edited by jeff5may; 08-22-17 at 09:41 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote