View Single Post
Old 07-12-12, 11:31 AM   #2
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi Helen,

You are on the right track to insulate and weatherize first. This is where you will see the greatest benefit and get the most out of a more efficient HVAC system.

Most mini split systems come with resistance heat as a backup, but I am sure this varies between manufacturers. If your unit doesn't come with resistance heat backup, you do have options. The lowest upfront and highest operating cost will be space heaters or baseboard electric heat. Baseboard heaters will run from $50 to $100 per room. Also keep in mind that you may want a new circuit put in just for these guys.

I imagine it gets and stays pretty cold up there, so it may make more sense to add a wood stove or pellet stove. I had a wood stove for several years and heated about 750 sq ft. A friend got an automatic pellet stove when fuel prices went up in 2008 and has liked it. The problem with a wood stove is that the area near the stove is toasty and the rest of the house is cool. This is particularly the case if the den is connected to the rest of the house with narrow hallways. Personally, I like this since I can keep the activity areas of the house warm and the bedrooms cool.

As with any combustion device, be sure that it has adequate fresh air and an adequate chimney so that you don't get carbon monoxide buildup. You can probably get a good wood stove for around $1000 and installation for maybe $1500.

And, of course, there is propane/natural gas. You can get wall mount heaters, but I would only use vented appliances. Un-vented propane or natural gas creates problems with carbon dioxide and water vapo(u)r and can still produce carbon monoxide. It looks like vented heaters run about $600 to $1500 each, so it gets expensive to put several in the house.

Try playing around with the calculators on builditsolar.com. In particular, look at the home heat loss calculator to figure out your heating needs for the coldest days and the fuel cost comparison.

Those are the "traditional" options, but you could look at other things such as radiant solar heat, or AC Hacker's small geothermal heat pump. Another idea that folks have been toying with is using solar to heat up the air around the air source heat pump. Others who have more experience with those may be able to comment.
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benpope For This Useful Post:
Helen (07-18-12)