View Single Post
Old 10-07-11, 05:12 PM   #24
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I like to keep a "house book". Just a cheap 3-ring binder, or duo-tang. In it I record as many of the details as I can about our house. I have started books for customers on occasion as well.
-Record details about the furnace, such as filter sizes, service dates, repairs. It makes it much easier and convenient to keep the furnace running at it's best.
-Keep a record of the catalogue numbers, make and model of all the faucets, toilets, filters, and any other plumbing system parts that you have, including any parts manuals and warranty information. It makes it so much easier to find a replacement cartridge for a faucet, saving wasted trips to the store.
-Keep the paint codes for the interior/exterior paints that you use. Most retailers will happily print you a second label for your records. Very useful if you have refinish a wall around a replacement window or fix minor damage.
-Keep records of such things as smoke detectors, Co2 detectors, thermostats. Smoke detectors, for instance, have a date stamp inside, and should be replaced at specific intervals. ( Check with your local, provincial or state regulations.)
-Locks and door hardware, again, manuals and warranty information.
-Any other feature or system in your home or on your property.
The point of doing this, to me, is to be able to fix things quicker and more accurately, saving repeated trips to the store ( replacement faucet cartridges have got to be one of the most frustating things, the differences between one and the next can be very subtle, and sometimes you find out after the fact that the one you've purchased was actually warranteed for life!) The savings are not only your fuel, but also saved water, hot water, paint, and so on. The easier it is to find parts, filters etc., the easier it is to keep everything at it's best.
herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herlichka For This Useful Post:
Fornax (11-28-12), Piwoslaw (10-08-11)