View Single Post
Old 08-21-14, 07:29 PM   #35
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
I take offense to your statement/challenge/whatever it is.
It was in response to NHM's unfounded and offensive accusation that Microsoft only secured software in response to "open source".

Quote:
I understand your statement that the same purpose can be met with an analog device, but why? You come off as a ham radio enthusiast stuck in the sixties. The reason things were done that way back then is because technology had not advanced to the level where any other means was economical.
My issue is the misinformation in NHM's statement that a "multimeter MUST have DSP" implying that digital processing is a requisite to measure power.

Power instrumentation using four quadrant analog power measurement chip is still very much in use and in production in current time. They're not obsolete like vacuum tube controls. Analog is actually much faster and respond in real time. Something digital struggles to do. Analog front-end is still a very effective technology today.

Quote:
bulky, single-purpose devices that will do some of the things the chinese toy did. Pardon me if I don't hold my breath in suspense.
Discrete components are actually far more easily repurposed. The modern "embedded systems" type design is far less flexible and difficult to tweak outside once it leaves the developer's hands. It's like a $2.99 calculator. There are no intuitive adjustments. it is "hidden" in the software. If you replace a component, the calibration parameters need to be readjusted. The instrument is scrap unless you know how to get into the embedded systems microcontroller software.

Like it or not, the "one chip design" is the least customization friendly and you really don't know exactly what's going on inside the silicon chip. When software or calibration becomes corrupt, you can't adjust it or use parts for anything. All you can do is turn it into hazmat e-waste

Last edited by ICanHas; 08-21-14 at 07:39 PM..
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote