View Single Post
Old 10-30-13, 06:53 PM   #1
where2
DIY Geek

Bought my Generation 2 Nest on the weekend they hit the stores (October 15, 2012), a little over a year ago now. Installed it on my central A/C with electric heat strips system with no fuss, other than having to cut the wires off the old thermostat because the screw terminals were seized up. The Nest replaced a 14 year old digital 5-2 programmable with 4 different set points throughout the week. (Morning, Day, Evening, Night).

In my case, I run A/C 10 months out of the year, and heat maybe 2 weeks of the year. (3 days in 2013). The nest and other energy saving upgrades have substantially reduced my electric bill. I've had a difficult time deciphering what was nest related, and what has been due to other modifications. Something is helping more than $40/mo.

The smart phone app is intuitive and user friendly. The device is certainly unique in appearance after comparing it to so many large rectangular devices with numerous buttons or touch screens.

My thermostat is located in a 3' long hallway under my stairwell to the second floor, and between the living room and the formal dining room. This location is unfortunately not well suited for the use of the signature "Nest Sense" feature that keeps an eye on activity around the house and turns the thermostat back if it does not sense anyone in the house for 2 hours. Despite this limitation, I was able to set individual programs for each day of the week which helped greatly when my wife was working part time as a teacher only a few days a week. My old 5-2 couldn't handle the variety and either cooled the house on days where it wasn't needed, or left the wife hot on days when she was home.

Initially, when I began researching WiFi thermostats, I wasn't keen on the drastically higher expense than some of the other offerings in the Wi-Fi thermostat department, but I soon noticed that some companies were charging an annual fee for the ability to access your thermostat remotely. Those fees would have quickly flipped the expense in favor of the Nest in only a few short years. My last thermostat lasted 14 years! The Nest has no recurring monthly or annual charges. You download the free app or you access the device on their website, and that's it.

I'd buy my Nest again. I'll buy one for the next house I buy...

Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 02-11-14 at 02:15 PM..
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote